How can you tell if your roof needs replaced? If your home is your castle, then it protects you, keeps you dry, and keeps your family safe and warm. However, a leaking roof allows water in and begins a series of problems.
A leak usually indicates blocked drainage where water can’t run off . Instead, it backs up, finding other means to flow downhill. The backed up water pools and seeps under shingles, creating an unwanted drip which eventually shows as a discoloration on the ceiling.
Replace or Repair?
Many factors need to be considered before deciding whether or not to replace you roof. A roof is significant investments, so inspect it carefully before making the decision to repair or replace.
AOC Environmental offers the following items to check before making that costly decision:
- The age
- The way it was installed.
- Whether or not there are multiple layers of shingles or just one.
Use the following list as your own personal inspection. Then call an expert company for a more detailed inspection with recommendations.
- Did Your Roof Come Over on the Arc? If it has protected you for 20 to 25 years, then it has reached it lifetime limit.
- Stand back and look. Does it appear to be buckling and curling?
- Look Deep into the Valleys Make sure metal flashing is properly installed.
- Are Shingles Missing? Missing shingles indicate the time for a replacement.
- How is Your Flashing? Look at your chimney flashing. Metal flashing should be used anywhere you have a protrusion, for example, sky lights, vent pipes, and chimneys.
- Gutters Shingle granules wear off, roll down, and block your gutters. Older roofs lose more granules.
- Daylight If you crawl into your attic and see daylight between the boards, then water has an entry point. Check for moisture.
Call the Experts
AOC Environmental, a multi-faceted company, inspects your roof and advises you to either repair or replace it. They base their recommendations on their professional, objective assessment.
Besides providing roof inspections, AOC Environmental serves the Wichita Falls area with mold and asbestos remediation services, water well drilling, and construction or renovation.
Call AOC Environmental at 940-692-8989.